Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures

This time of year tends to bring out my love for the music of Joy Division. A band three decades dead whose music is of the utmost resonance with over three decades' worth of influence. None more so than their seminal debut "Unknown Pleasures."

This record is bleak, sad and beautiful. While the majority of my favorite records tend to be faster, more aggressive, "Unknown Pleasures" is my most favorite, a work of art that tugs on my heartstrings like no other.

Listen "New Dawn Fades" and you will see what I mean.

An explosion of the softest form, a declaration of numb love and the failing grasp to hang on to it, shouldered on sinister bass lines, delicate, ethereal riffs and a funeral's snare. Ian Curtis, Joy Division's face and baritone voice of sorrow, is at his most convincing here, you want to hold someone after hearing this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment